Photograph taken of a small, rustic chapel on a mountain in a secluded fishing village of Iceland.
Búðakirkja church was erected in 1703 by Bent Lárusson, who was a merchant in Búðir. It rotted down but was rebuilt by Steinunn Sveinsdóttir in 1848. Legend has it that she did this following a request by Bent Lárusson in a dream. In 1984, the church was moved in one piece from the old graveyard onto its current foundations. The church was renovated to the form it was thought to have had in 1848, and was re-consecrated in 1987. The church is a listed building owned by the National Museum of Iceland, but it is in the care of the Búðir parish. Búðir and Búðakirkja have a romantic air about them, and the place is popular for weddings.
November 6th, 2018
Viewed 533 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 09/30/2022 at 1:12 AM